Outdoor Pursuits/ Lifetime Activities
This class is not a traditional Physical Education class.
This class is more outdoor pursuits and activities where students can continue throughout their lives to stay active and fit.
The three main components of this class are KAYAKING/SAILING, GEO-CACHING, and FITNESS.
KAYAKING/SAILING Our students take a trip to Oleta River State Park and first learn the basics of how to maneuver a vessel on the water and all safety precautions that need to be kept in mind.
They then embark on one of four adventures:
1) Kayaking through the mangroves.
2) Paddling over to the island for a swim.
3) Go out on a point to point run and tie up.
4) Basic maneuvering skills where we play fun games that enhance kayaking/ sailing skills.
For example, we play “Toss the Sponge” one person tosses the sponge into someone else’s kayak and moves away from them so they can not toss it back.
There are too many fun games to list them all – join our class and you can experience them first hand.
What is GEO-CACHING? It is a worldwide sporting activity where you find hidden treasures using GPS.
- Geo-caching at school where students must find hidden treasures.
- Fitness – Geo-caches: Where once the individual gets to the location, they must complete a fitness activity before looking for the hidden treasure and videotape the activity. The student then returns to class demonstrates how they found the spot, did the activity, and found the treasure.
- A field trip to Oleta River State Park where students find Geo-caches placed by other geo-cachers.
Below is a video to help understand what Geo-caching is and how it is played:
FITNESS RELATED ACTIVITIES We have a fitness room at Palm Springs Middle with bicycles, ellipticals, treadmills, exercise balls, weighted bars so that we can perform a multitude of different fitness activities.
Students learn not only how to use the equipment but why it is used as well. Students start the year with a physical assessment. Knowing their current physical level helps them strengthen and maintain their health and well-being.
Biomedical Science Academy
Join our Biomedical Science Academy or our HOSA Club to learn about…..
healthcare career pathways, life-threatening situations, certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), first aid, medical terminology, and health sciences.
The Biomedical Science Academy BSA is a rigorous, highly focused program for students with career interests in biomedical sciences. This program provides students with exposure to concepts of human medicine, physiology, genetics, microbiology, and public health through engaging real-world applications and experiences.
Health Occupations Students of America HOSA-Future Health Professionals is a national student organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Health Science Education Division of ACTE. HOSA’s two-fold mission is to promote career opportunities in the health care industry and to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people.